All news

Russian prosecutors request UK legal assistance on Glushkov murder case

On March 16, Russia’s Investigative Committee launched a criminal case over Nikolai Glushkov’s murder

MOSCOW, April 25. /TASS/. Russia’s Prosecutor General’s Office has sent to the United Kingdom a request on legal assistance on Russian businessman Nikolai Glushkov’s murder case, Spokesman Alexander Kurennoy said on Wednesday.

"The Russian Prosecutor General’s Office in line with the European Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters from April 20, 1959, sent a request to the Home Office of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on April 17 on legal assistance in the criminal case into the murder of Russian citizen Nikolai Glushkov committed on the UK’s territory," Kurennoy said.

The request was submitted to the British side on April 23.

According to Kurennoy, Russia has requested copies of materials related to the investigation carried out by the UK’s competent bodies and other documents important for establishing consequences of the Russian citizen’s death.

On March 16, Russia’s Investigative Committee launched a criminal case over Glushkov’s murder.

Glushkov was found dead at his London home on March 12. The Metropolitan Police said he had died from compression to the neck. At the same time, according to media reports, the businessman was strangled with a dog lead so investigators believe that the killer could have aimed at giving his death the appearance of suicide.

In the 1990s, Glushkov was deputy managing director at Russia’s flag carrier Aeroflot and worked for Berezovsky’s LogoVAZ car company. In 2000, he was arrested over the embezzlement of Aeroflot’s funds, and later charged with fraud and money laundering. In 2004, he was sentenced to three years and three months behind bars but was released in the courtroom having served the term in custody. In recent years, Glushkov has been living in the United Kingdom after being granted political asylum in 2010. In March 2017, Moscow’s Savelovsky District Court handed him a second eight-year sentence in absentia for the embezzlement of Aeroflot’s funds.