VOLGOGRAD, January 4 (Itar-Tass) - Security will remain tight in all public places in Volgograd for several more days, regional governor Sergei Bozhenov said on Friday.
Security measures will remain in force at city public places and all municipalities of the Volgograd region. "The public utilities services will be on alert for the next few days, and trade outlets and other facilities attracting large masses will be closely guarded by police and militia," Bozhenov said.
On Saturday, the Volgograd region will finish the mourning for the victims of the terrorist attacks. Thirty-four people were killed in two explosions. One bomb was set off at the city railway station on December 29, and on December 30, an explosion ripped through a trolley-bus.
Sixty-five victims remain in hospitals. Of those, 20 were flown to Moscow for treatment, and 45 remain in Volgograd hospitals. Among the patients in Volgograd, two persons are in critical condition, two in serious condition, six in moderately grave condition and 35 in satisfactory condition. Three blast victims who earlier received outpatient treatment have been taken to hospital.
Of the 20 blast victims receiving treatment in Moscow, two are in critical condition, eight in serious condition, nine in moderately grave condition and one in satisfactory condition.
Volunteers from Moscow announced an action to donate blood for blast victims almost immediately after the terrorist attacks. Blood transfusion centers of the Volgograd health care department will operate on January 4-5.
On December 31, Russian Public Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova said at the emergency session of the cabinet that "all the needs for medicines and donor blood are fully met in the city and that the situation is under control."
"The hospitals are staffed with medical personnel including conservative treatment doctors and surgeons," Skvortsova said.
Regional authorities promised to pay by January 10 the compensations to relatives of all the people killed in the terrorist attacks as well as to those who were injured.
At a telephone conference at the Emergency Situations Ministry on January 3, deputy regional governor Vasily Galushkin said 56 people had already received compensations. "The families of 13 people killed in the terrorist attacks were paid one million roubles from the regional budget and one million roubles from the federal budget each," Galushkin said. "Forty-three persons injured in the explosions were paid 200,000 roubles from the regional budget each," he added.
The deputy governor underlined that "payments of compensations will continue." The authorities have drawn the list of the fatalities, and the list of the injured is being drawn in coordination with the Investigative Committee. Weekends have been cancelled for the regional services responsible for drawing these documents and remitting the money.
After the explosions, regional authorities announced an anti-terrorist operation in which several thousand facilities were checked and hundreds of people were detained.
The National Antiterrorist Committee noted that police "are continuing the comprehensive work in investigating the terrorist attacks in Volgograd on December 29 and 30" and that "this work is yielding certain results."