DUBAI, December 1. /TASS/. Gaza Strip-based Palestinian movement Hamas is continuing to seek a ceasefire in Gaza even after Israeli forces resumed their bombardment of the embattled enclave, Hamas Political Bureau member Osama Hamdan said.
"We sought a ceasefire in earnest and we are still seeking a truce, even despite the resumption of Israel’s aggressive actions," he told Al Jazeera television. "We are open to any initiatives aimed at ending the aggression in a way that is in line with our people’s interests," Hamdan added.
According to the senior Hamas official, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) is carrying out strikes throughout Gaza. He is confident that "the Israeli formation’s view of Palestinians and the Palestine issue" is the main obstacle to resolving the conflict.
Hamas announced on November 22 that an agreement on a four-day humanitarian ceasefire in the Gaza Strip had been reached through the mediation of Qatar and Egypt. The Gaza ceasefire took effect at 7:00 a.m. local time (5:00 a.m. GMT) on November 24. The agreement stipulated the release of Israeli women and children who are being held in Gaza in exchange for the release of Palestinian women and children held in Israeli prisons. Israel said it was ready to extend the truce for an additional day in exchange for the release of ten more hostages and free 30 Palestinian prisoners every time. However, the IDF said on the morning of December 1 that Hamas had violated the truce in Gaza and opened fire at Israeli territory, thus prompting the IDF to resume combat operations in the Gaza Strip.