ANKARA, February 6. /TASS/. The death toll from a major earthquake in southeastern Turkey has risen to 1,014, Head of Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority Yunus Sezer said in televised remarks.
"We have received data that 2,824 buildings were demolished. The death toll stands at 1,014 of our people," he said.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier said 912 lives had been lost, adding it was unclear how much that number could rise.
Sezer said the first 7.7 magnitude quake, which was registered overnight, was followed by 105 aftershocks.