BAKU, February 6. /TASS/. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Thursday during a press conference in Baku that Ankara would provide a tough response to ongoing clashes in Syria, which Turkey blames on Damascus.
"Our patience also has its limits. If attacks by the regime (the Syrian government, according to Turkey - TASS) continue, we won’t stop, our response will be tough," the Turkish top diplomat said.
Earlier, Cavusoglu noted that Turkey continues to apply joint efforts with Russia to alleviate tensions in Syria’s Idlib. He added that Ankara and Moscow wish to establish a permanent ceasefire, providing an opportunity for stable political regulation.
On February 5, Syrian government forces entered the town of Saraqib, the outpost of the Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group (banned in Russia) in the Idlib province.
The Syrian government forces previously encircled the enemy’s outpost from three sides, blocking its supply lines. Syria’s army command issued an ultimatum to the militants, demanding that they lay down arms or leave the city for the sake of civilians’ lives.
Saraqib is a town of strategic importance that sits at the junction of two main roads connecting Latakia and Damascus with Aleppo. The Syrian army’s control over the town could result in the defeat of the armed groups operating in the country’s north.
Idlib is the only Syrian region that has been controlled by illegal armed groups since 2012. A northern de-escalation zone was set up in Idlib in 2017 to give shelter to militants who refused to surrender arms in Eastern Ghouta and Syria’s southern regions. The Turkish army has 12 observation outposts in the province.