All news

Russians applying for trips to China, premature to speak about resumption of tourist flow

Tour operators are expecting to obtain information on when and how the visa application acceptance process will resume at Chinese consulates

MOSCOW, March 14. /TASS/. Tour operators are receiving inquiries from Russian tourists seeking to visit China, although it is still premature to speak about a resumption in the flow of tourists between the two countries, the Association of Tour Operators of Russia (ATOR) said in a statement on Tuesday.

"Russian tour operators report that inquiries about visiting China are coming in from tourists. However, it is too early to speak about any resumption of the tourist flow thus far," the statement reads.

Tour operators are expecting to obtain information on when and how the visa application acceptance process will resume at Chinese consulates. Only after the first visa is issued will it be possible to say that the door to tourists visiting China has reopened, industry players say. Participants in the tourism market also expect the resumption of tourist exchange with China under tour operators’ lists and through visa-free group trips, the association added.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry’s Department of Consular Affairs said earlier on Tuesday that Beijing would resume reviewing and issuing all types of visas to foreign citizens for entry into the country starting March 15.

China resumed tourist trips for organized groups of travelers, including to Russia, on a pilot basis on February 6.