DONETSK, November 10. /TASS/. The Fair Protection public organization from the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) submitted documents on 90 people subjected to torture while in confinement by the Kiev regime to the International Criminal Court (ICC) with no response as of yet, the organization’s head Vitaly Galakhov told TASS.
"I collected material on 90 individuals who endured torture in Ukrainian captivity. [Among them are] servicemen who then were militiamen. Yet the majority of them are civilians. We submitted all the materials to the ICC. There have been no results and no reaction," the human rights activist said.
TASS also obtained access to excerpts from the victims’ testimonies. In particular, DPR residents who ended up in captivity said that Ukrainian servicemen used unknown medicinal substances on them, applied physical force, tortured them with a stun gun or placed them in a refrigerating chamber. According to their personal files, militants from the Azov nationalist battalion (outlawed in Russia and recognized as terrorist) could enter their prison cell at any time and beat up everyone there for no reason. Women were also among the detainees.
The testimonies specified that Ukrainian politicians and high-ranking security officials could also participate in torturing prisoners. In one of their torturers, the prisoners recognized the former delegate of the Verkhovna Rada Vladimir Parasyuk because he was not wearing a mask while another one was the head of the SBU’s counterintelligence department Alexander Kharaberyush.
In April, Galakhov told TASS that since 2015, the Fair Protection had sent to the ICC over 3,000 materials on the facts of Ukraine’s war crimes in Donbass. Additionally, more than 6,000 complaints have been sent to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) but not a single case has been reviewed. The ECHR has currently suspended considering cases against Ukraine, he said. According to the activist, it is unknown so far when the procedure will resume.