UNITED NATIONS, November 21. /TASS/. The United Nations cannot determine those responsible for the attacks on the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (ZNPP), Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesperson for the UN Secretary General, said on Monday.
"Well, we don't have an ability to determine the attacks. We want all of the attacks to stop," he said, adding that he shares IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi’s concerns and backs "his call for all parties to stop any firing around that plant."
The Russian defense ministry said earlier that after a two-month pause Ukrainian troops had resumed shelling attacks on the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant. At least 25 shells were fired at the plant on November 19-20 alone. One of the shells hit the roof of special building No.2, which holds nuclear fuels. The attack was repelled by retaliatory fire. The radiation background around the plant is within norms.
The Zaporozhye nuclear plant is Europe’s biggest nuke plant in operation. Russia took control of it in late February, shortly after the beginning of the special military operation in Ukraine. Ever since, the plant has come under shelling by Ukrainian troops more than once. Currently, its six units are operating in a cold shutdown regime. The plant was visited by an IAEA mission in early September, leaving several employees as observers. After the visit, the organization issued a report calling for creating a security zone around the ZNPP to prevent possible emergencies due to combat operations.