YEREVAN, July 14. /TASS/. The Armenian Foreign Ministry has accused Baku of creating new hotbeds of tension, the ministry’s press service said in a statement published on Wednesday, commenting on the shootout on the Armenian-Azerbaijani border.
"These provocative actions after the encroachment of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces on the sovereign territory of Armenia in the Syunik and Gegharkunik Provinces clearly show that Baku is trying to create new sources of tension, undermining regional peace and security," the ministry said.
The Armenian Foreign Ministry has condemned these attempts as a "blatant violation of the basic principles of international law".
Earlier on Wednesday, the Armenian Defense Ministry reported a shootout in the area of Yeraskh on the Armenian-Azerbaijani border, as a result of which an Armenian serviceman was killed.
Following the end of military action in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone last fall, when seven regions adjacent to Nagorno-Karabakh fell under Azerbaijan’s control, the border between Armenia and Azerbaijan moved to the immediate vicinity of the Syunik and Gegharkunik Provinces.
Tensions rose there on May 12. Then, the Armenian Defense Ministry announced that the Azerbaijani Armed Forces had attempted to carry out "certain activities" in the Syunik Province in a bid to "redefine the border," moving into Armenian territory. Both parties continue to report border incidents.