KHERSON, October 23. /TASS/. The Kherson Region authorities strongly call on people to leave the city districts on the right bank over threats of further terror attacks, the region’s deputy governor, Kirill Stremousov, said on Sunday.
"Terror attacks are likely to be continued in the right-bank areas of the Kherson Region. So, we strongly recommend all Kherson residents leave these areas," he wrote on his Telegram channel.
He said earlier in the day that an improvised explosive device fixed to an utility pole was detonated remotely in Kherson on Sunday, killing one civilian and wounding one more. The region’s health ministry said however that three people were wounded in the terror attack.
In a video address posted on his Telegram channel, Stremousov said that the terror attack was aimed against civilians and called on people to relocate to the Dnieper left bank or to other Russian regions. He stressed however that there are no plans to cede Kherson.
Acting Kherson Region Governor Vladimir Saldo announced on October 18 that civilians who live on the right bank of the Dnieper River in the Kherson Region would be evacuated to its left bank due to the threat of flooding, which could be triggered by a Ukrainian military strike on the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant. Saldo warned that Ukraine was accumulating substantial forces near Nikolayev and Krivoy Rog. According to the acting governor, the decision to relocate local residents was also due to the construction of massive defensive fortifications.
The relocation-to-safety effort started on October 19. The authorities have announced plans to relocate some 50,000-60,000 people.