MOSCOW, October 17. /TASS/. Units of the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) will not be restarted any time soon, due to shelling attacks and disrupted power supply lines, Vladimir Rogov, the chairman of the We Are Together with Russia public movement, told TASS on Monday.
"I don’t see any possibility of it, if we speak about the short-term perspective," he said, adding that that the biggest nuclear power plant in Europe will not be restarted "until the frontline is moved away from the station, until the shelling by Zelensky’s militants ceases and until all power supply lines are restored."
The Zaporozhye nuclear power plant is the largest nuclear power plant currently operating in Europe. It has a capacity of about 6,000 MW and used to generate a quarter of all electric power in Ukraine. Russia took control of it on February 28, during the first days of its special military operation in Ukraine.
On September 11, the sixth power unit of the Zaporozhey NPP, the only remaining operational unit, was shut down. It was caused by the actions of the Ukrainian security forces, which deliberately attacked power lines. On October 11, adviser to the general director of the Rosenergoatom, Renat Karchaa, announced that the supply of electricity to the Zaporozhye NPP through the power line had been resumed.