- Russian defense minister to inspect air defense units in Arctic
- Russia developing Arctic version of Tor missile system
- Russia reinforcing permanent troops group deployed in Arctic — defense minister
- Russia plans to complete development of military facilities in Kuril islands in 2016
- Russian Defense Ministry deploys S-300, S-400 air defense missile systems in Arctic
MOSCOW, August 23. /TASS/. Russia’s Defense Ministry plans to form a coastal defense division in Chukotka by 2018, Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu said Tuesday.
"There are plans to form a coastal defense division in 2018 on the Chukotka operational direction," Shoigu said.
He recalled that in July last year, a decision was made to establish a unified system of coastal defense from the Primorye Territory to the Arctic "to ensure control of the closed sea zones of the Kuril Islands and Bering Strait, cover the routes of Pacific Fleet forces deployment in the Far Eastern and Northern sea zones, and increase the combat stability of naval strategic nuclear forces during fulfillment of set tasks."