MOSCOW, June 15. /TASS/. Russia’s United Instrument Manufacturing Corporation (UIMC) has developed a "microwave cannon" capable of disabling enemy aircraft and drones within the range of 10 kilometres, a UIMC representative told TASS on Monday.
- Russia successfully test-launches defense shield anti-missile — ministry
- Tests of new missile for Russia's Iskander system to be over by year-end — designer
- Russia’s new reconnaissance aircraft to see targets even below ground — developer
- Russia to demonstrate Pantsir-S air defense system capabilities at Army-2015 forum
- Russian 5th generation fighter to surpass US analogues — Air Force chief
- Russia's Bal сoastal defense system to get 300-kilometer range missile — contractor
"The mobile microwave radiation complex developed by our company - Moscow Radio Engineering Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), is designed for out-of-band suppression of electronic equipment of low-flying objects and attacking elements of precision guided weapons," said the source, adding that the novelty would be presented at the Army-2015 Forum.
According to him, the system is capable of disabling the equipment of aircraft, drones and neutralising precision-guided weapons, ensuring a new level of defense. "In its technical characteristics the system has no known analogues in the world," said the UIMC representative.
He added that the complex consists of a powerful relativistic oscillator and a dish antenna, a control and monitoring system and a transmission system, mounted on the chassis of the Buk anti-aircraft missile system.
The new complex’s specifications are not disclosed, but according to a defence industry representative, its range exceeds 10 kilometers. "When installed on a special platform, the "microwave cannon" is capable of providing 360 degrees perimeter defense. The complex is also planned to be used to test the national radio-electronic systems of military equipment for resistance to high-power microwave radiation," the source said.