PARIS, May 23. /TASS/. The Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) has received Russia’s notification about the withdrawal of Moscow’s request to host Expo 2030. This is according to a statement BIE released on Monday.
"The Russian Federation has notified the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) of its decision to voluntarily withdraw its candidature to organize World Expo 2030 in Moscow," the statement says.
"In a letter addressed to the Secretary General of the BIE, Dimitri S. Kerkentzes, the Prime Minister of the Russian Federation Mikhail Mishustin indicated the reasons for the withdrawal of the candidature and expressed his hope that the country will be a candidate to host an Expo in the foreseeable future," BIE adds.
The Bureau recalled that "the host country of World Expo 2030 will be elected by the 170 Member States of the BIE during the 173rd General Assembly of the Organization due to take place in late 2023."
The countries having notified the BIE of their intention to organize World Expo 2030 have until 7 September 2022 to submit their Expo project in the form of a candidature dossier, BIE says.
Earlier on Monday, the Russian Cabinet announced that it had decided to withdraw Moscow's application for the right to host the Expo 2030 exhibition due to politization of the event.
The Expo world universal exhibition is the biggest international event offering participant nations the possibility to present themselves to the world, to demonstrate their achievements in the areas of science and technology, culture, and architecture. In the recent years, the expo’s exhibitions have served as a platform for public diplomacy and national brand-building.
It was assumed that if Moscow is chosen, the exhibition will be held from April 27 to October 27, 2030. The Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) will vote in 2023 to pick the winning city.