MOSCOW, June 30. /TASS/. President of Russia Vladimir Putin thanked Russian servicemen on Thursday for everything they had done to push back terrorists in Syria and preserve Syrian statehood.
"I want once again to thank our servicemen who have done everything to push back terrorists and prevent the illegitimate external forceful interference in Syria’s affairs and preserve the very Syrian statehood," Putin said at a meeting with Russian ambassadors and permanent envoys.
- Russian Foreign Ministry shocked by US diplomats’ calls for military solution in Syria
- Russia-Turkey normalization may have positive effect on Syrian settlement — ambassador
- Syrian opposition Kurdish National Council delegation received at Russian Foreign Ministry
- Lawmaker says Russia wants Turkey to change approaches to Syria, Iraq
- Defense ministry denies death of Russian servicemen in Syria
The head of state also praised the merits of the Russian diplomacy in this sphere.
Putin said the outcome of the fight against the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group was being decided in Syria.
"The outcome of the fight against this IS is now being decided on Syrian land," the president said.
"It would be no exaggeration to say that not only the Middle East region’s future depends on the destiny of this country," he added.
According to him, the Islamic State members "are united in their desire to expand to the whole Islamic world, secure a foothold in Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Central Asian countries, near our borders - we know, it’s their objective."