MOSCOW, February 5. /TASS/. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has stated that not a single invading soldier would set foot on the soil of his country, when speaking at the country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
"No one will enter Venezuela, no one, I assure you, not a single invading soldier, wherever he may come from. That I guarantee you as Commander-in-Chief of the National Bolivarian Armed Forces," Maduro said in his speech, which was broadcast on the Foreign Ministry’s Twitter page. He also blamed the US of plotting various schemes of foreign intervention in Venezuela, aided by the members of the National Assembly (the parliament) of the country, which are controlled by the opposition.
Maduro affirmed that the West "is conducting psychological warfare [against Venezuela]," the goal of which is carrying out a foreign military intervention campaign. "Neither intervention, nor a coup d’etat nor war will take place in Venezuela," he vowed.
Venezuela withstands Western meddling
On Sunday, Trump stated that he did not rule out the possibility of using American armed forces in Venezuela. On January 23, Juan Guaido, Venezuelan opposition leader and parliament speaker, whose appointment to that position had been annulled by the country’s Supreme Court, declared himself interim president at a rally in the country’s capital of Caracas. Several countries, including the United States, Lima Group members (excluding Mexico), Australia, Albania, Georgia and Israel, as well as the Organization of American States, recognized him. Maduro, in turn, blasted the move as a coup staged by Washington and said he was severing diplomatic ties with the US. In contrast, Russia, Belarus, Bolivia, Iran, Cuba, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Turkey voiced support for Maduro, while China called for resolving all differences peacefully and warned against foreign interference. The United Nations secretary general, in turn, called for dialogue to resolve the crisis.