BEIJING, September 25. /TASS/. Beijing believes it is necessary to conduct an impartial, professional investigation into the explosions that destroyed the Nord Stream gas pipelines almost one year ago, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin said at a briefing.
"China supports an impartial, fair and professional investigation into the Nord Stream blasts," Wang said in response to a TASS correspondent’s request to comment on last year’s act of sabotage.
The Nord Stream AG company reported on September 27, 2022, that three threads of the Nord Stream 1 and 2 offshore gas pipelines had suffered unprecedented damage. Swedish seismologists recorded two explosions along the Nord Stream pipelines on September 26. The Russian Prosecutor General's Office subsequently opened a case into an act of international terrorism. Germany, Denmark and Sweden launched separate national investigations but refused to involve Russia in the investigative procedures. Reports, citing various sources, emerged later in the US and European media claiming that Ukrainian groups unaffiliated with the Kiev authorities may have been involved in the sabotage. Pulitzer Prize-winning US journalist Seymour Hersh, in turn, maintained, citing intelligence sources, that the terrorist attack had been carried out by a US military underwater demolition team on orders from President Joe Biden.