MOSCOW, November 11. /TASS/. Some 80,000-100,000 people are yet to be evacuated from Kherson, Alexander Kobets, head of the city’s military civilian administration, said on Friday.
"The evacuation continues. According to our estimates, some 80,000-100,000 people are staying in Kherson," he said in an interview with the Rossiya-24 television channel.
He said that the city’s authorities have developed a number of measures to accommodate those evacuated, taking into account their preferences. Thus, in his words, some are lodged in other districts of the Kherson Region, others prefer to go to Crimea and Russia.
Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu on November 9 ordered a pullback of troops from the right bank of the Dnieper River in the Kherson Region to its left bank, a move suggested by Commander of Russia’s Integrated Group of Forces in Ukraine Sergey Surovikin, who stressed that the Russian military had successfully repulsed all Ukrainian attacks. The decision to move the forces back, in his words, was also due to the risk of their isolation, should territories downstream from the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant be flooded. Surovikin said that all civilians who wished to leave - more than 115,000 people - had already been evacuated from the right bank.