MELITOPOL, January 31. /TASS/. Russian forces are consolidating their positions on new lines that have been recaptured from the Ukrainian armed forces in the Zaporozhye Region, Vladimir Rogov, chairman of the 'We Are Together with Russia’ movement, told TASS on Tuesday.
"Our guys have consolidated their successes and built a new line of defense at all the lines from which [the Ukrainian armed forces] were knocked out [by] combat reconnaissance during the week. The enemy positions are being processed: aviation is actively working, we can feel the presence of our Tornado-S MLRS at the front. Let me remind you, this type of weapon surpasses the US-made HIMARS in accuracy," he said.
According to Rogov, Russian forces were currently shelling Ukrainian positions in Orekhovo, Gulyaipolye and Charivnoye. "These are the three main directions in which strikes are most often carried out," the official pointed out.
He recalled that in January Russian forces took control of nine settlements previously held by the Ukrainian armed forces during offensives in the Zaporozhye region.
The intensity of combat operations in the Zaporozhye direction has increased sharply in recent weeks. On January 20, the Russian Defense Ministry reported that it had taken control of the village of Lobkovoye in the Zaporozhye Region. Later, Rogov reported that Russian forces in the Pologovka sector had advanced in the direction of the town of Gulyaipolye and taken under control several Ukrainian strongholds.