BEIRUT, February 8. /TASS/. The number of people killed by the February 6 earthquake in Syria has risen to 1,250, the country’s Health Minister Hassan al-Ghabbash said on Wednesday.
A total of 2,050 people were rushed to hospitals with various injuries, the official said.
"Those figures are not final, given that the search and rescue effort still continues," he added.
Al-Ghabbash, who is a member of the government’s crisis response headquarters, said that over 600 Syrian doctors and medical workers had been sent to the affected provinces of Aleppo, Latakia, Tartus and Hama.
According to the Al Mayadeen TV channel, Syria’s economic capital of Aleppo was the hardest-hit area, with over 3,000 dwellings destroyed. One fifth of the city’s residents were left homeless by the disaster. As of 2018, the city was home to some 1.8 million residents.