KHERSON, November 8. /TASS/. Ukraine’s armed forces have sustained huge losses in a botched offensive toward Nikolayev, Deputy Governor of the Kherson Region Kirill Stremousov said on Tuesday.
According to Stremousov, Ukrainian troops attempted another exploratory attack at about 13:30 Moscow time. "However, thanks to top-notch counter-battery fire by Russian artillery supported by air power, the enemy retreated, suffering heavy losses in manpower in the Nikolayev direction," he wrote on his Telegram channel.
Apart from that, in his words, Russia’s artillery eliminated two Ukrainian mortar squads near the settlement of Davydov Brod.
Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Igor Konashenkov said earlier that the Russian military thwarted nine attempts by Ukrainian subversive/reconnaissance groups to infiltrate in the Nikolayev-Krivoi Rog area during the past day.