CHINISAU, March 9. /TASS/. The State Security Ministry of Transnistria has thwarted an assassination attempt on the top officials of the unrecognized republic, which was prepared under orders from the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU).
"The Transnistrian Ministry of State Security announces that a terrorist attack has been foiled. The crime was being prepared against a number of officials of the Transnistrian Moldovan Republic under the Ukrainian Security Service’s orders. Suspects have been detained and have given confessions," the State Security Ministry said.
"Criminal cases have been opened and an investigation is now ongoing," the statement said.
In April 2022, Transnistria was rocked by a series of terrorist attacks. They started when grenade launchers were fired at the building housing the State Security Ministry. Then, broadcasting antennas were blown up at one of the region’s largest radio and TV centers, located in the village of Mayak. As well, military airfields near Tiraspol and Rybnitsa, and the location of the Transnistrian peacekeeping contingent were attacked.
In addition, grenade launchers were fired at an ammunition depot near the village of Kolbasna, which serves as a storage facility for roughly 20,000 tons of ammunition removed from European countries after Soviet troops withdrew. The facility was guarded by the Operational Group of Russian forces. No one was injured in the attack.
[Transnistrian President Vadim] Krasnoselsky stated that the sabotage plot had been hatched on Ukrainian territory and blamed the Moldovan special services for the attempted arson of the military registration and enlistment office in Tiraspol. The Transnistrian leader put in place the maximum terrorist threat level, which was lowered from red to yellow on May 25 and remains in effect to date.