Diplomat calls US’ allegations about isolation of Russia in UN 'strange'Russian Politics & Diplomacy April 28, 20:58
Experts say Russian hackers strongly demonized in USRussian Politics & Diplomacy April 28, 20:35
Ferrari drivers clock best time in Practice Two of Russia F1 GP in SochiSport April 28, 19:54
Red Bull’s advisor Marko says Kvyat to possibly remain with Toro Rosso next yearSport April 28, 19:16
Pope Francis blesses pregnant TASS correspondent en route to EgyptWorld April 28, 18:55
Russian diplomat says use of military force against North Korean unacceptable, dangerousRussian Politics & Diplomacy April 28, 18:45
UN chief calls for lowering risk of miscalculation concerning North Korea issueWorld April 28, 18:15
Moscow deeply regrets Montenegro’s decision to join NATORussian Politics & Diplomacy April 28, 18:07
Maria Sharapova reaches Porsche Grand Prix semifinalsSport April 28, 17:50
The Ukrainian military also delivered mortar fire during last night, the self-defense militia said.
The shelling prevented the local self-defense militia from withdrawing the bodies of dead fighters from the scene. Their previous attempts failed due to incessant artillery fire by the Ukrainian military.
“Smoke from explosions and a cloud of dust were seen above the village,” a representative of the local self-defense militia told ITAR-TASS.
In addition, a camera crew of Russia’s Channel One came under mortar fire near the besieged city of Sloviansk in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region but no journalists were injured, the TV channel’s website reported.
It is unclear who opened fire and whether there were any casualties or destruction, it added.
Two people were killed when the Ukrainian military shelled Semyonovka on Monday. Earlier reports said that several self-defense militiamen had been wounded.
“Not a single building has been left untouched in the village. They [the Ukrainian military] have destroyed everything, including factories and a railway crossing,” a self-defense fighter said.
“The houses have been abandoned and no one is gathering harvest in vegetable gardens.”
The besieged town of Sloviansk is still out of water and local shops and pharmacies work only partially.
“The choice of medications is limited,” the self-defense militia said.
Consultations were held on Monday evening in Donetsk on the implementation of a peace plan in east Ukraine. Prime Minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic Alexander Borodai said the self-defense forces of southeast Ukraine had undertaken to cease their fire until June 27.
“In response to Kiev’s ceasefire, we undertake to stop fire and combat operations. The ceasefire is effective until June 27,” Borodai said, adding the movement of troops on the territory of the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics would also be ceased.
Poroshenko’s decree on the unilateral ceasefire in east Ukraine came into effect at 11:00 p.m. Moscow time (7:00 p.m. GMT) on June 20. The document said that the truce would continue until June 27 but “the military would open retaliatory fire, if armed attacks are made on Ukrainian military formations or civilians.”
Kiev’s punitive operation against federalization supporters in Ukraine’s southeast involving armored vehicles, heavy artillery and attack aviation has claimed hundreds of lives, including civilians, left buildings destroyed and damaged and forced tens of thousands to flee Ukraine.
The Donetsk and Luhansk regions, which border on Russia, held referendums on May 11, in which most voters supported independence from Ukraine.