Iran, US see progress at indirect negotiations in Geneva — Oman’s top diplomat

World February 17, 19:48

Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi stressed that in order to conclude a final deal "much work is yet to be done"

DOHA, February 17. /TASS/. Iran and the United States achieved "good progress" during their indirect negotiations on the nuclear dossier in Geneva on February 17, Foreign Minister of Oman Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi said on Tuesday.

"Today’s indirect negotiations between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States of America in Geneva concluded with good progress towards identifying common goals and relevant technical issues," the Omani top diplomat stated on his X social network account.

According to him, "the spirit of our meetings was constructive," and the parties involved exerted "serious efforts to define a number of guiding principles for a final deal."

Al Busaidi stressed that in order to conclude a final deal "Much work is yet to be done."

"The parties left with clear next steps before the next meeting," he concluded.

The Omani foreign minister also highlighted International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Rafael Grossi’s positive role in the negotiations.

"The contribution of the IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi was much appreciated," he noted.

The second round of indirect negotiations between Iranian and US representatives was held earlier in the day at the Embassy of Oman in Geneva. Tehran insists on maintaining its uranium enrichment program and demands that Washington fully lift its sanctions against the Islamic Republic. White House officials have repeatedly stated that they would not allow Iran to acquire nuclear weapons.

In 2003, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a fatwa (a religious decree) prohibiting the production of nuclear weapons. The Iranian leadership has said on many occasions that Tehran has no intention of developing a nuclear bomb.

Read more on the site →