MOSCOW, June 5. /TASS/. As many as 44 people, both militias and civilians, have been killed in shelling in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) over past week, the DPR human rights ombudsperson said in a report issued on Friday.
"In a period from May 30 to June 5, 2015, nine civilians and 35 servicement have beek killed in combat operations," the document said. As many as 48 civilians and 29 militias have been hospitalized with wounds.
Earlier on Friday, DPR defence ministry spokesman Eduard Basurin said twenty servicemen had been killed and 99 more had been wounded in hostilities in the town of Maryinka. Meanwhile, DPR head Alexander Zakharchenko said Ukraine’s losses in manpower had exceeded 400 servicemen, more than 1,000 had been wounded.
High-intensity battlefield involving Ukrainian troops and militias was reported in Maryinka near Donetsk on Wednesday. According to the spokesman for defence ministry of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, Eduard Basurin, "it was a large-scale provocation by Ukrainian troops" aimed at diverting attention from preparations for a large-scale operation in the Luhansk region.
The 13-point Package of Measures on implementation of the September 2014 Minsk agreements included an agreement on cessation of fire from February 15, withdrawal of heavy armaments, as well as measures on long-term political settlement of the situation in Ukraine, including enforcement of a special self-rule status for certain districts of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.