The troops established control over this gateway to Damascus though several pockets of resistance remained in the northern part of the area, the source said adding that Syrian servicemen were pursuing the militants. Al Mayadeen TV channel confirmed that more than 100 gunmen had been killed during the operation.
Syrian troops entered Al-Mliha on May 18, but had to retreat due to heavy losses. Back then, the operation was led by air defense General Hussein Ishaq who was fatally wounded in the fighting.
The area housing an air defense headquarters has been under a state of siege for more than a year.The destruction of the enemy's group in Al-Mliha will worsen the situation for the militants besieged in Jobar in eastern Damascus, a Syrian military expert, retired General Yahya Sulaiman said. The success will provide for launching an offensive against the strongholds of the Islamic Front and Jabhat al-Nusra in Duma, Zamalka and Erbin.
Re-taking Al-Mliha decreases the threat of mortar shelling of the Jarman neighborhood accommodating Christians and Druze. On Thursday, several shells exploded in the area wounding nine people.
Meanwhile, a shootout was reported in the district of Deir al-Asafir between militants from the Jaysh al-Islam group which is part of the Islamic Front and members of other opposition factions. Group leader Zahran Alloush is accused of treason and treacherous retreat from al-Mliha. Both parties suffered casualties in the clash, reports said.