Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Donetsk regional council suspends work

March 05, 2014, 14:52 UTC+3 DONETSK
The Donetsk regional council decided to cancel a meeting planned for March 6, saying a new date for the meeting would be announced later
1 pages in this article
© ITAR-TASS/Konstantin Sazonchik

DONETSK, March 05. /ITAR-TASS/. The Donetsk regional council decided to cancel a meeting planned for March 6, a council source said on Wednesday, adding a new date for the meeting would be announced later.

The decision to suspend work was taken supposedly because demonstrators had blocked the building and the session hall, a source at the regional administration told Itar-Tass. Council members did not answer telephone calls.

An unknown person reported by phone on Wednesday about a bomb threat, and sappers of the regional department for emergencies were checking the information, while the building was cordoned.

Local deputies planned to consider a program for the regions' economic and social development for the next three years, a regional crime prevention program for the period up to 2018, hear a report about last year's budget and discuss other issues.

Activists participating in protests headed by "people's governor" Pavel Gubarev, who represents the organization People's Militia of Donbass, occupied the lower two floors of the building and the session hall in protest against decisions of the regional council.

The protesters demanded to declare the central Ukrainian authorities the parliament, the government and senior officials of local state structures illegitimate, since a coup d’etat was carried out in the country. Among their demands is to recognize Gubarev as governor of the region.

 

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама