Currency converter
^
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Kremlin says no comment on alleged US plan for ground operation in Syria

February 16, 13:08 UTC+3
CNN earlier reported citing unidentified sources that the US Defense Department "might propose that the US send conventional ground combat forces into northern Syria"
Share
1 pages in this article
Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov

Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov

© Sergei Fadeichev/TASS

MOSCOW, February 16. /TASS/. Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov refused to comment on media reports that the Pentagon and the US administration are considering plans of carrying out a ground operation in Syria.

"There are many such hoax stories in media space, it would be absurd now to give any comments on such serious issues based on reports of newspapers," Peskov told reporters.

In general, Russia’s stance on sending US contingent to Syria would depend on many factors, namely the legal basis, the type of operation and the particular goals. "There are many questions here, but it is impossible to say something without knowing it," he said.

CNN earlier reported citing unidentified sources that the US Defense Department "might propose that the US send conventional ground combat forces into northern Syria" for the first time to speed up the fight against the Islamic State (terrorist group outlawed in Russia). The decision is ultimately up to President Donald Trump, an unnamed defense official said.

The US contingent in Syria consists of some 300 special operations troops who act as advisers helping train the Syrian opposition. On Sunday, the Pentagon refused to provide information to TASS on the US military presence in Syria.

Last month, John Davis, deputy commander for aviation at the US Marine Corps, said that the plan to step up US campaign on countering the IS terrorist group would demand not only increasing the number of air strikes on its forces and equipment. He commented on the prospects of US operation against the IS after Trump signed a memorandum on the need to prepare Washington’s plan "within 30 days" to defeat the IS group.

Show more
Share
In other media
Реклама
Реклама