Russian expert says North Korea takes first step to finding compromise with USWorld August 16, 18:27
1,000 Baltic Sea Fleet marines take part in wargame in Russia's northwestMilitary & Defense August 16, 18:10
Solovetsky Islands: Russia's UNESCO treasure in the White SeaSociety & Culture August 16, 18:02
German foreign minister warns New START and INF Treaties termination will affect EuropeWorld August 16, 17:37
Russian female weightlifter Vorobyova slapped with 8-year ban over doping abuseSport August 16, 17:36
George R. R. Martin believes killing off book characters makes readers truly careSociety & Culture August 16, 16:55
Western chemical weapons in Syria indicate true attitude to international law — diplomatRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 16, 16:54
Syrian diplomat stresses Khan Shaykhun incident staged by militantsWorld August 16, 15:46
EU, Russia and Turkey among Ukraine’s biggest trade export partnersBusiness & Economy August 16, 15:42
MOSCOW, December 19. /TASS/. The EU leaders announced intention to take a tougher approach towards Brexit at the bloc’s summit last week, Russia’s Ambassador to the European Union Vladimir Chizhov said on Monday.
According to him, nothing new was said concerning the Brexit issue at the recent EU summit. "Initially, there was a lot of buzz over the traditional annual end of year dinner as UK Prime Minister Theresa May hadn’t been invited," the Russian diplomat said.
"However, there was no dinner in the end, things were wrapped up in order to arrange a 20-minute working session." "The main signal sent to London is that they should adopt a more rigorous approach towards Brexit," Chizhov noted.
"According to my estimates, the Brexit process may take several years. I won’t be surprised if more than ten," Chizhov added.
On June 23, as many as 51.9% of UK citizens (17.41 million people) voted for leaving the European Union, while 48.1% (16.14 million) voted in favor of remaining part of the bloc. Theresa May who took the helm of the UK government this past July following her predecessor’s resignation after losing the Brexit referendum, pledged to act in line with the people’s will and launch the procedure of ending the country’s EU membership before March of 2017.
The UK government seeks to reject the principle of free movement while retaining access to the common market.