MOSCOW, September 16. /TASS/. US attempts to show to the world the "moderate opposition" in Syria is controllable have remained unsuccessful so far, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov told the media on Friday.
"Although the regime the of cessation of hostilities envisaged by the Russian-US agreement is in its fourth day the question of whether the "moderate opposition" is capable of complying with it in principle remains open. All attempts by our US partners to show to the world the opposition it has been sponsoring is controllable to some extent have been futile. Although the ceasefire agreement is bilateral, only one party implements it in reality," Konashenkov said.
Only the Syrian army in Aleppo, he said, is prepared to negotiate, observe ceasefire and pull back its forces to let in UN humanitarian convoys.
"There is every sign our American partners have failed to find in Aleppo any ‘moderate opposition’ groups, whose good organization and controllability has been so much talked about," Konashenkov said.
The ceasefire regime took effect on September 12. The Russian General Staff earlier said the "moderate opposition" had repeatedly abused the terms of ceasefire. According to Russian military sources, it was violated 45 times during its third day.
Three US unmanned aircraft are in the area of Syria’s Aleppo, however, the US keeps silent about the actions of the opposition controlled by it near Castello Road, Konashenkov noted.
He recalled that the Russian Defense Ministry had a live broadcast since Thursday from groundview video cameras in addition to a webcam mounted on a drone flying above Aleppo to scan the area and verify that the ceasefire is being observed.
"Three more US unmanned aircraft are in the area as well. However, for some reason our partners in Washington are reluctant to talk about the real actions of opposition members in the Castello Road area for the fourth day playing the role of some onlookers," Konashenkov said.