ASTANA, April 6 (Itar-Tass) —— Russia has not changed its position on the Nagorno-Karabakh settlement as some claim, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday commenting on some information on his recent trips to Yerevan and Baku.
“Following my trips to Yerevan and Baku I hear that some people doubt our position,” the minister said. “I would like to confirm clearly that Russia has not changed its position on support of the Karabakh settlement.”
“Our position is based on principal approaches offered by co-chairs of the Minsk Group and confirmed by presidents of Russia, France and the US over past three years on the fields of the G-8 summits,” Lavrov said. “In the framework of this position President Medvedev undertook his initiative on trilateral contacts with presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan. Both the position of the co-chairs and our actions based on the necessity to be looking for a solution, which would answer the interests of one and the other side, which would be acceptable for both sides, and which would be based on similar attitude towards the three basic principles; respect for territory integrity, the right of the people for self-determination, and non-use of force.”
“None of these principles is above others,” Lavrov said. “This is not a hierarchy, those are three absolutely similar principles in the opinion of the co-chairs. In this context only a fair solution may be found.”
The foreign minister said that Russian suggestions, which cover all elements of future settlement, had been supported by co-chairing countries and leaders of Russia, the US and France during a meeting in Kazan in last June.
“Our efforts continue, and they continue to base on equal attitude to the principles of territory integrity, self-determination of peoples and non-use of force,” the minister said.