MOSCOW, April 14. /TASS/. There are no casualties among civilians and Syrian military servicemen after the US missiles strikes, according to preliminary data, Head of the Russian General Staff’s Main Operations Directorate Sergei Rudskoi told reporters at a press briefing in the Russian Defense Ministry on Saturday.
"According to preliminary data, there are no casualties among civilians and Syrian military servicemen," he said.
Russia is convening an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the aggressive actions by the United States and its allies in Syria.
"Russia is convening an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the aggressive actions by the US and its allies."
Russia can get back to discussing the issue of supplying S-300 missile systems to Syria in the wake of the US strikes on that country, he said.
"A few years ago, taking into account a pressing request from some of our Western partners, we abandoned the supplies of the S-300 missile systems to Syria. Considering the latest developments, we deem it possible to get back to discussing this issue, not only in relation to Syria, but to other countries as well," he said.
Rudskoi recalled that "over the past year and a half, Russia has fully restored Syria’s air defense system and continues to upgrade it."
Strike on Syria
According to the Russian Defense Ministry, the missile strike against Syria’s military and civilian infrastructures was carried out by US planes and naval ships in cooperation with British and French air forces between 03:42 and 05:10 Moscow time on Saturday.
The ministry reported that a total of 100 cruise and air-to-surface missiles had been fired (while 59 missiles were fired at Shayrat Airbase last year), most of them were shot down by Syria’s air defense units while approaching the targets.
The United States, Britain and France said the strikes were a response to an alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria’s Douma.
A number of non-governmental organizations, including the White Helmets, earlier alleged chemical weapons had been used in Douma, Eastern Ghouta, on April 7. The Russian Foreign Ministry dismissed these reports as fake news. The Defense Ministry added that the White Helmets was notorious for spreading falsehoods.
On April 9, officers from the Russian Center for Reconciliation of the Warring Parties in Syria visited Douma but found no trace of chemical weapons there.
Experts from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) were to begin work there on Saturday.