Hamas reports receiving US envoy’s new proposal on Gaza settlement

World May 29, 2025, 18:11

According to the statement, the movement "is thoroughly studying it"

CAIRO, May 29. /TASS/. The Gaza-based Palestinian group Hamas has received a new proposal by US Special Presidential Envoy Steve Witkoff on settling the situation in the Gaza Strip and is studying its content, the organization said in a statement published on its Telegram channel.

"The Hamas leadership has received Witkoff’s new proposal and is thoroughly studying it, in the interest of our people and to achieve a permanent ceasefire in the Gaza Strip," the statement reads.

Earlier, the Ynet portal reported that Witkoff’s new proposal provides for an immediate ceasefire in the enclave for 60 days and the release of 10 hostages in two stages during the first week. According to the news outlet, during the first week of the ceasefire, Hamas must also hand over to Israel the remains of 18 deceased hostages. In response, the Israeli side must release Palestinian prisoners in accordance with previously approved lists. Additionally, the document provides for the resumed deliveries of humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip via the UN and other international organizations. According to the portal’s information, Israel received the new proposal from Witkoff overnight on May 29.

On May 28, Witkoff told journalists in the White House that the US is planning to send "a new term sheet" on a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip to Israel and Hamas.

On May 25, Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said that indirect negotiations between Hamas and Israel on the settlement of the conflict in the Gaza Strip had hit an impasse.

Tensions erupted again in the Middle East on October 7, 2023, when Hamas militants launched a surprise incursion into Israeli territory from the Gaza Strip, killing residents of border settlements and seizing hostages. Hamas described its attack as a response to the aggressive actions of Israeli authorities against the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem’s Old City. In response, Israel initiated a military operation in the enclave in order to dismantle Hamas’ military and political structure and rescue all those kidnapped, and began delivering air strikes on certain parts of Lebanon and Syria.

On March 18, the Israeli army resumed fighting in the Gaza Strip, launching massive strikes on the enclave and thus breaking the ceasefire established in January. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said that Israel had restarted military operations in Gaza after Hamas rejected the US proposals put forward by mediators and Witkoff. The office stated that the Israeli military had resumed strikes on Hamas targets in Gaza to secure the release of hostages and that the army would escalate its campaign in the enclave. The Gaza-based movement has blamed the United States for the renewal of Israeli aggression.

Read more on the site →