CARACAS, March 11. /TASS/. Power supply to the residential areas of the Venezuelan capital of Caracas, restored on Sunday night, has once again been suspended, a TASS correspondent reported.
Locals say electricity supply was restored in many areas of the city at about 20:00 on Sunday, then it was cut again, was restored and cut once more. Periods of power supply lasted from ten minutes to an hour. At about 01:00, residential areas were left without electricity again.
At the same time, street lights did not go out.
A Santa Fe district resident told TASS that a supermarket had been robbed there overnight into Monday. The El Nacional newspaper reported about a supermarket robbery in the Baruta district.
Caracas and 20 of the country’s 23 regions were initially left without electricity on March 7. The National Electric Company said the blackout had been caused by an accident at the Simon Bolivar Hydroelectric Plant, which Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro blamed on "US imperialism." However, the US Department of State denied any involvement.
Electricity began to be gradually restored across Venezuela on Friday night but the situation worsened on Saturday following reports about an explosion at an electric substation located on the outskirts of the city of Ciudad Bolivar. Due to the blackout, the Venezuelan government declared March 11 a day off.