MOSCOW, April 4. /TASS/. The Chinese men's and women's national teams have arrived in Russia for training and will take part in friendly competitions, Russia’s handball chief Sergey Shishkarev and his Chinese counterpart Wang Tao announced.
Chinese delegation arrived in Moscow on Sunday, April 3. It consisted of 45 people.
"Last year, the Chinese Handball Association signed a memorandum on strategic cooperation with the Russian Handball Federation. Our trip to Russia is aimed at implementing the plans that were fixed in the memorandum. Of course, it is also held within the framework of the Year of Sino-Russian Cooperation in the field of Physical Culture and Sports," Wang Tao said.
Shishkarev, president of the Russian Handball Federation, noted that the visit of the Chinese delegation is the first serious event within the year of cooperation between China and the Russian Federation in the field of physical culture and sports. "This agreement, as you know, was signed by Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping on February 4 during the opening of the Winter Olympics," he recalled.
The handball tournament between Russia, Belarus and China will be held in Moscow in April.
"The training camp, which will start at the end of the week after the Russian Cup, will end with a tournament on April 22-23 with the participation of the first national team, the youth team, the national teams of China and the Republic of Belarus," Shishkarev said.
The working name of the tournament is Friendship and Peace Cup. "This will allow the athletes to regain their motivation, to work with full dedication, within this tournament we will need to prove our worth," the head of the Russian Handball Federation said.
Meanwhile, the Russian and Chinese handball federations are thinking about filing a joint bid to host the Women's Handball World Championship in 2029 or 2031.
"Such a large-scale tournament has never been held in such large countries before, it will be very interesting," Shishkarev added, "Besides, Hassan Mustafa, president of the International Handball Federation (IHF), is paying great attention to the development of handball in China."
On February 28, the Executive Committee of the European Handball Federation (EHF) decided to indefinitely suspend Russian and Belarusian teams and clubs from participation in competitions under the auspices of the organization. On March 23, Maxim Gulevich, a member of the Executive Committee and an EHF lawyer, said that the Russian Handball Federation filed a complaint with the EHF court against this decision.