MOSCOW, March 21. /TASS/. The Russian Chess Federation (RCF) will submit an appeal against a decision of the World Chess Federation (FIDE) to ban Russian Grandmaster Sergey Karjakin for a six-month period, RCF President Andrey Filatov told TASS on Monday.
"The RCF will study in detail a decision of the FIDE Ethics and Disciplinary Commission in regard to Sergey Karjakin and Sergey Shipov," Filatov stated. "We are set to file an appeal as soon as possible against Karjakin’s suspension for the period of six months."
"The RCF stands against any discrimination of athletes based on any criteria and will be fighting for their rights," he said. "We are asking FIDE Arkady Dvorkovich to take this situation under his personal control."
The FIDE stated earlier in the day that its Ethics and Disciplinary Commission (EDC) decided to suspend Russian grandmaster Karjakin from all competitions for a period of six months.
According to the statement issued earlier in the day by FIDE, "Sergey Karjakin is found guilty of breach of article 2.2.10 of the FIDE Code of Ethics, and is sanctioned to a worldwide ban of six months from participating as a player in any FIDE rated chess competition, taking effect from the date of this decision, 21 March 2022."
Reached by a TASS correspondent, Krajakin said he would refrain from filing an appeal against his announced suspension on behalf of the FIDE.
"I see no sense of filing an appeal as any court would side nowadays with the stance of Europe," Karjakin said in an interview with TASS. "FIDE is an international sports organization following the steps of the rest."
"Somehow, a Russian national [Arkady Dvorkovich] is still in charge of it [FIDE]. I think it won’t be long," the Russian Grandmaster continued.
"I did realize that there was such a threat [of being suspended], but I believe that, first of all, I am a citizen and patriot of my country and I am saying it without any bravado whatsoever," he said.
"I would have come up again with the same message if a similar situation emerged and would have never stayed mum," he said. "I have no regrets whatsoever about what I’ve done. Choosing between the support of my country and the Candidates Tournament I would have always opted for the first."
On February 28, Karjakin published an open letter in which he supported Russia’s special military operation in Ukraine. The next day, FIDE condemned the Russian grandmaster for public announcement of his political stance, launching a disciplinary case against him.
Karjakin, 32, is currently 18th in the FIDE Rankings List. In 2016, the Russian chess player won the Candidates Tournament and then lost the World Chess Championship’s title encounter to Norwegian Magnus Carlsen.
Karjakin is the winner of the Chess World Cup 2015. He is also the world champion in Rapid Chess (2012) and Blitz (2016).