MOSCOW, April 13. /TASS/. The two currently operating hospitals in Syria’s Raqqa are overcrowded, Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Major General Igor Konashenkov told reporters on Friday, citing data from the World Health Organization (WHO).
According to him, WHO experts particularly point out that Raqqa’s residents are deprived of humanitarian aid as there are no offices of international humanitarian organizations in the region, while local authorities are unable to improve the situation. The WHO also said that civilians returning to Raqqa faced constant danger due to the large number of scattered munitions and improvised explosive devices. "From October 1, 2017, to February 28, 2018, over 660 Syrians suffered injuries, while over 130 people were killed," the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said, adding that every day up to six civilians, mostly kids and teenagers, stepped on landmines.
Konashenkov pointed out that the epidemiological situation was tough in Raqqa. "Thousands of bodies still remain under the destroyed buildings’ rubble, 70% of the city has been destroyed by the US-led coalition’s bombings, as international organizations say," he added.
UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said earlier that the United Nations was ready to send a mission to Raqqa to figure out what kind of assistance was needed. According to him, there is also the need to send missions to Afrin, Rukban, Homs and Eastern Ghouta.
Raqqa was the main Syrian stronghold of the Islamic State [terror group outlawed in Russia - TASS]. The city was liberated by the Syrian Democratic Forces, supported by the US-led coalition, on October 17, 2017.