MOSCOW, December 5. /TASS/. Brussels prosecutor has dismissed the extradition case of former Catalan government President Carles Puigdemont, the Agence France-Presse news agency said.
Earlier on Tuesday, Spain’s Supreme Court withdrew the European arrest warrants for former Catalan President Carles Puigdemont and four former members of his cabinet.
The arrest warrants were issued on November 3 as the five failed to appear before the national judicial board in Madrid, since they had left the country and fled to Brussels.
According to the Brussels prosecutor, another court hearing will be held to announce that the extradition request is now irrelevant.
On October 1, a referendum on seceding from Spain took place in Catalonia. A total of 90.18% of the voters said "yes" to Catalonia’s independence. Madrid said the referendum was illegal and refused to recognize its results.
On October 27, the Catalan parliament passed a declaration of independence. The Spanish Senate, in turn, approved the government’s request for activating Article 155 of the country’s Constitution.
After that, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced the dissolution of the Catalan parliament and dismissed Puigdemont, as well as members of his cabinet. Madrid also called a regional election for December 21.