ASTRAKHAN, April 6. /TASS/. Two men suspected of being involved in an attack of Russian Guard officers in the Russian southern city of Astrakhan have been detained, Astrakhan region governor Alexander Zhilkin said on Thursday.
"The operation is over. Four criminals have been killed. Two members of the group have been arrested," he wrote on his Twitter account.
A source in the local law enforcement agencies told TASS these two men were most likely detained during a special operation.
Earlier on Thursday, a spokesman for the Russian Guard told TASS that the four criminals who had shot and killed policemen in Russia’s southern city of Astrakhan on April 4 and attacked Russian Guard officers early on Thursday were killed.
According to the Astrakhan region department of the Russian interior ministry, the Russian Guard officers came under gunfire in the small hours on Thursday when they tried to stop a car to check documents. Three officers were wounded. One of them is in serious condition. The attackers fled the scene, however one of them was killed and another one was wounded. Presumably, the attack was staged by the same persons who shot and killed two policemen on April 4.
According to earlier reports, early on April 4, unidentified armed men attacked two traffic police officers who arrived at a road accident scene in Astrakhan. They made several shots at the policemen who died instantly. Four men suspected of this attack have been put on the Russian and international wanted lists. The Russian interior ministry has announced a bonus of one million rubles (17,715 U.S. dollars) for any information about the suspects.