Currency converter
^
All news
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Azerbaijan and Armenia report armed clashes in Karabakh conflict area

February 25, 11:45 UTC+3 BAKU

"Losses have been reported during the armed clash.", Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry reported

Share
1 pages in this article
© Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images

BAKU/YEREVAN, February 25. /TASS/. Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry reported armed clashes in the Karabakh conflict area and Azerbaijan’s losses.

"During the night from the 24th to the 25th of February, units of the Armenian Armed Forces attempted an attack on Azerbaijan’s positions at various parts of the front line," the defense ministry said. "Losses have been reported during the armed clash."

Armenia’s Defense Ministry also reported an armed clash was registered night to Saturday in the Nagorno Karabakh conflict area.

"On February, 25, at about 03:00-04:00 local time, at two directions - north-eastern (Martuni) and eastern (Agdam) - was an attempt to break through the engagement line," the defense authority said.

In the response measures by the Karabakh side, "the enemy had new losses - killed and hurt servicemen," Armenia’s ministry said. No losses were reported by the Karabakh side.

Efforts for peace

The situation along the line of engagement in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone deteriorated dramatically overnight to April 2 when fierce clashes began. The parties to the conflict accused each other of violating the truce.

On April 5, 2016, Azerbaijan’s Chief of Staff Nadjmeddin Sadykov and his Armenian counterpart Yury Khachaturov met in Moscow with Russia’s mediation. At the talks the sides came to an agreement on cessation of hostilities at the line of engagement between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces. On the same day, the two countries’ defense ministries announced that the ceasefire regime in Nagorno-Karabakh would start at 12am local time. Since then, the parties to the conflict have been accusing each other of violating the ceasefire agreement.

The participants of talks on Nagorno-Karabakh in Vienna on May 16, 2016, involving the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia and mediated by the foreign ministers from the OSCE Minsk Group co-chair countries agreed to observe ceasefire in the region in compliance with the 1994-1995 accords. The parties to the conflict also agreed to complete as soon as possible the work on an OSCE tool on investigating incidents on the contact line.

In a trilateral statement adopted on June 20, 2016, following a summit of Russian Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents in St. Petersburg, the sides confirmed their commitment to the normalization of the situation along the engagement line in Nagorno-Karabakh.

The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

The highland region of Nagorno-Karabakh (Mountainous Karabakh) is a mostly Armenian-populated enclave inside the sovereign territory of Azerbaijan. It was the first zone of inter-ethnic tensions and violence to appear on the map of the former USSR.

Even almost a quarter of a century after the breakup of the Soviet Union, Karabakh remains a so-called 'frozen conflict' on the post-Soviet space, as the region is the subject of a dispute between Azerbaijan and the local Armenian population that draws on strong support from fellow-countrymen in neighboring Armenia.

In 1988, hostilities broke out there between the forces reporting to the government in Baku and Armenian residents, which resulted in the region's de facto independence. In 1994, a ceasefire was reached but the relations between Azerbaijan and Armenia remain strained ever since then.

Russia, France and the U.S. co-chair the Minsk Group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, which attempts to broker an end to hostilities and the conflict.

Show more
Share
In other media
Реклама
Partner News
Реклама