WASHINGTON, December 6. /TASS/. The United States will condemn any attack against medical facilities in Syria, but so far it cannot confirm reports of Monday’s deadly shelling of a Russian mobile hospital, a US Department of State spokesman said.
"I’ve seen the reports. We’ve not been able to confirm. It’s difficult to do, obviously, given the fighting and given our lack of access to what’s happening on the ground," Mark Toner told reporters.
"Of course we condemn any attack on a hospital or health care facility," he added.
Earlier on Monday the Russian Defense Ministry said one Russian medical worker had been killed and two others injured when "opposition" militants shelled a Russian mobile hospital. The facility came under an artillery attack between 12:21 and 12:30 Moscow time, when the examination of local patients was in progress.
One woman died when a mortar shell hit the hospital’s emergency ward, another died of injuries later. Doctors are still fighting to save the third victim.
Russian military medics from the Defense Ministry’s special purpose unit opened the hospital in Syria’s Aleppo to patients when Syrian government forces regained part of the city on Monday morning.