UN envoy slams anti-Russian sanctions imposed over North KoreaRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 23, 21:29
Criminal case over Ukraine's map without Crimea and Donbass opened in KievWorld August 23, 21:17
Netanyahu says every encounter with Putin benefits Israel’s securityWorld August 23, 19:15
Netanyahu determined to prevent Iran from strengthening positions in SyriaWorld August 23, 18:21
Russia's military might on display at Army-2017 forumMilitary & Defense August 23, 18:20
Russian defense minister examines weapons seized from terrorists in SyriaMilitary & Defense August 23, 18:12
Grand Russian art exhibition to be held in Vatican in 2018Society & Culture August 23, 17:47
Argentinian footballer Emiliano Rigoni signs contract with Russia’s Zenit FCSport August 23, 17:36
German chancellor suggests exerting diplomatic pressure on North KoreaWorld August 23, 17:01
CAIRO, November 15. /TASS/. Egypt’s Court of Cassation has sustained the appeal of former President Mohamed Morsi and a number of leaders of the outlawed Islamist organization Muslin Brotherhood over death sentence on the case of jailbreak in January 2011 and involvement in mass riots, the local television said on Tuesday.
The higher instance court ruled to overturn the verdict and send the case back for a new trial.
The appeal to challenge the last year’s verdict was lodged on behalf of 27 Islamist leaders sentenced to life or death on this case. In October, prosecutors of the Court of Cassation recommended to revoke the verdict against Morsi.
After the Islamists had been ousted from power in the summer of 2013, criminal cases were opened against most of their leaders and activists. On June 16, Egypt’s criminal court upheld a death sentence to Morsi for being behind jailbreaks and attacks on police during the 2011 riots. He was also sentences to 45 years in jail on other charges, including those of spying for foreign states.
Among those sentenced to capital punishments were Muslim Brotherhood supreme mentor Mohammed Badia, his deputy Rashad al-Bayoumi, Islamist activist Issam al-Aryan and former parliament speaker Saad al-Qatatni. The rest were sentences to life in prison. Charges were brought against 130 people in all but only 27 stood trial, others were sentences in absentia.