'Gentlefan' continues: 'Angels' greet Belgium football fans ahead of Sochi gameSport March 28, 21:12
Scottish parliament backs new referendum on independenceWorld March 28, 20:42
Russian strategic missile carriers to take part in military drills in TajikistanMilitary & Defense March 28, 20:10
Russia’s offshore energy projects in the ArcticBusiness & Economy March 28, 19:33
US chess chief: No plot to oust current FIDE head, but it ‘would be good for the game’Sport March 28, 18:27
Putin-Rouhani meeting round-upWorld March 28, 18:23
Request for referendum against iconic Petersburg cathedral's transfer to church approvedSociety & Culture March 28, 18:13
US diplomat says Washington is pleased with Arctic cooperation with MoscowWorld March 28, 18:11
Russia, Iran express support for Damascus’ efforts to combat terrorismWorld March 28, 17:46
PYONGYANG, September 12. /TASS/. All North Korean state-run newspapers have published the address of the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea calling on people to actively participate in providing disaster relief following devastating floods in the North Hamgyong province. According to the latest reports, 133 people were killed and another 395 went missing after the floods.
The Rodong Sinmun state-run newspaper wrote that "all human, material and technical resources of the country are mobilized to provide disaster relief." The newspaper stressed that North Korean people "will be able to heal the wounds inflicted on the northern regions of the country, in a very short time,"
The Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea said in a statement published on Sunday that "this is was the most devastating natural disaster since the liberation of Korea in 1945." Tens of thousands of residential houses and civil facilities were destroyed in floods in the northern part of the country, particularly in the North Hamgyong province. Transport and energy infrastructure suffered as well, along with industrial enterprises and agricultural areas.
In this regard, the Workers’ Party of Korea is taking emergency measures together with different ministries and agencies to provide assistance to residents of the flooded areas. Construction brigades were sent to the disaster-stricken areas, they participated in the construction of multi-story residential quarters in Pyongyang. The Korean People’s Army was also involved in disaster relief efforts.
The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported earlier that at least 60 people were killed in floods in the North Hamgyong province, and 25 more people are missing. Over 44,000 people were evacuated from the area where the Tumangan River burst its banks following heavy rains from August 29 to September 2.
International humanitarian organizations in Pyongyang are also assisting North Korean authorities in disaster relief. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement are delivering blankets, food preparation supplies, tents, sanitary packages to residents of flooded areas.