ROME, August 24. /TASS/. The death toll in the devastating earthquake that hit central Italy on Wednesday has reached 120, said Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi.
"At least 120 people were killed," said Renzi who arrived in the disaster area earlier on Wednesday.
The 6.0-magnitude quake was followed by multiple aftershocks in the early hours of Wednesday devastating a number of mountainous towns and villages, including Amatrice, Pescara del Tronto and Accumoli where thousands were left homeless.
More than 700 rescuers and medics are working in the disaster area.