SPIEF 2017 participants can look forward to rich cultural and sports programmePress Releases May 23, 11:43
Putin offers condolences to UK over terror attack in ManchesterRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 10:10
Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attackWorld May 23, 9:30
Police say death toll in Manchester Arena explosion reaches 22World May 23, 9:18
Hollywood actor Steven Seagal to get free land in Russia's Far EastSociety & Culture May 23, 9:06
Ariana Grande tweets she is 'broken' over blast following her concert at Manchester ArenaWorld May 23, 8:03
British PM to chair meeting of emergency response committee after Manchester blastWorld May 23, 7:53
Anti-corruption fight in Russia is in earnest, says upper house speakerRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 6:24
British prime minister calls Manchester blast 'appalling terrorist attack'World May 23, 5:52
BAKU, August 21. /TASS/. The Armenian armed units over the past 24 hours "violated the truce regime 7 times at various parts of the front in the Karabakh conflict area, using also high-caliber machine guns" Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
The ministry said "the positions of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces were under fire from the opposing positions, located near and at heights in Nagorno Karabakh and neighboring areas," which are controlled by the Armenian side.
The situation along the line of engagement in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone deteriorated dramatically overnight to April 2 when fierce clashes began. The parties to the conflict accused each other of violating the truce.
On April 5, Azerbaijan’s Chief of Staff Nadjmeddin Sadykov and his Armenian counterpart Yury Khachaturov met in Moscow with Russia’s mediation. At the talks the sides came to an agreement on cessation of hostilities at the line of engagement between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces. On the same day, the two countries’ defense ministries announced that the ceasefire regime in Nagorno-Karabakh would start at 12am local time. Since then, the parties to the conflict have been accusing each other of violating the ceasefire agreement.
The participants of talks on Nagorno-Karabakh in Vienna on May 16 involving the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia and mediated by the foreign ministers from the OSCE Minsk Group co-chair countries agreed to observe ceasefire in the region in compliance with the 1994-1995 accords. The parties to the conflict also agreed to complete as soon as possible the work on an OSCE tool on investigating incidents on the contact line.
In a trilateral statement adopted on June 20 following a summit of Russian Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents in St. Petersburg, the sides confirmed their commitment to the normalization of the situation along the engagement line in Nagorno-Karabakh.
The highland region of Nagorno-Karabakh (Mountainous Karabakh) is a mostly Armenian-populated enclave inside the sovereign territory of Azerbaijan. It was the first zone of inter-ethnic tensions and violence to appear on the map of the former USSR.
Even almost a quarter of a century after the breakup of the Soviet Union, Karabakh remains a so-called 'frozen conflict' on the post-Soviet space, as the region is the subject of a dispute between Azerbaijan and the local Armenian population that draws on strong support from fellow-countrymen in neighboring Armenia.
In 1988, hostilities broke out there between the forces reporting to the government in Baku and Armenian residents, which resulted in the region's de facto independence. In 1994 a ceasefire was reached but the relations between Azerbaijan and Armenia remain strained ever since then.
Russia, France and the U.S. co-chair the Minsk Group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, which attempts to broker an end to hostilities and the conflict.