Ten Russian universities included in Times Higher Education rankingSociety & Culture October 17, 18:00
Diplomat reveals foreign structures behind wave of fake ‘Russian embassy’ accountsRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 17, 16:57
Russian Guard, police may get electroshock shields for special operationsMilitary & Defense October 17, 16:41
Catalonia promises not to give up independence bidWorld October 17, 16:21
Political strife off the radar as Syria plays in 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiersSport October 17, 16:16
Investments in bitcoin riskier than gambling, Russia’s economy minister warnsBusiness & Economy October 17, 16:02
Russian expert has misgivings about Amber Room discovery near DresdenSociety & Culture October 17, 15:58
Russia increases Glonass orbital grouping to 24 satellitesScience & Space October 17, 15:11
Hermitage Museum director says US decision to quit UNESCO will not affect its workSociety & Culture October 17, 15:08
WASHINGTON, July 27. /TASS/. Representatives of the Pentagon and Russia’s Defense Ministry held a videoconference on Tuesday to discuss issues of ensuring flight safety over Syria, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook reported.
According to him, "the Department of Defense today (Tuesday) held a video conference co-chaired by Acting Assistant Secretary for International Security Affairs Elissa Slotkin and Rear Adm. Michael J. Dumont, deputy director, J-5, Strategic Plans and Policy on the Joint Staff, with Russian Ministry of Defense counterparts".
The Pentagon representative said that the two countries’ military "discussed the safety of operations since the two sides last met to discuss Russian strikes at the Coalition-supported site at at-Tanf, Syria."
According to him, "both sides continue to discuss and develop measures to avoid such incidents. The two sides reiterated the need to adhere to measures to enhance operational safety and avoid accidents and misunderstandings in the air space over Syria. Today's meeting follows previous video conferences between the Department of Defense and the Russian Ministry of Defense on this topic. The conversation was constructive and the two sides agreed to continue safety discussions in this format in the future," Cook said.
The Russian Defense Ministry press service said previously that it was noted during the videoconference that the memorandum has demonstrated high efficiency since its signing nine months ago.
"Communication channels established in line with the above document make it possible to minimize the risk of accidents involving aircraft of the Russian Aerospace Troops and the US-led coalition," the ministry said. "Contacts of Russian and American experts through bilateral channels of communication will be continued. An agreement was reached to hold a new videoconference at the end of August of 2016," the report said.