ANKARA, July 16. /TASS/. Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on people in the streets "to continue rallies in protection of legitimacy and democracy and not to leave the streets of Istanbul and Ankara until night."
This address to Turkish citizens was published on behalf of Erdogan by his administration on Twitter.
The statement stresses that "the fight against coupists is not over yet and the authorities need the support of population."
Earlier on Saturday the country's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said that 2,839 military had been detained after the coup attempt. He said that the coup attempt was inspired by the members of the pro-Islamic Hizmet movement, which is in the opposition to Erdogan.
The Hizmet movement is related to Islamist Fethullah Gulen who is residing in the US. Ankara accuses Gulen of destabilization of the situation in the country in summer of 2013 and other attempts of undermining people’s trust in the government.
Gulen’s supporters ruled out accusations they are involved in the events in Turkey. In a statement they called the accusations "highly irresponsible."
A group of insurgents staged a military attempt coup in Turkey on the night from Friday to Saturday. Bombs were dropped on the parliament building and the presidential palace in Ankara. According to Turkey’s Prime Minister, 90 people died, and 1,440 got injured.