ANKARA, June 28. /TASS/. The investigation against Turkish citizen Alparslan Celik who is suspected of the murder of Russia’s Sukhoi Su-24 bomber’s pilot Oleg Peshkov last November, continues. The corresponding statement was made by Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, the NTV television channel reported on Tuesday.
"Legal procedures continue against the person who is allegedly involved in the murder of the pilot of the downed plane," Yildirim is quoted by the TV channel.
On Monday, Taskin Kangal, one of the lawyers of Celik, told TASS that "the Prosecutor’s Office resumed last Friday the investigation into the episodes with the Russian pilot and shooting on a Russian helicopter."
"The investigation is underway on this case. So far the Prosecutor’s Office has not announced any specific dates or decisions, the prosecution side is engaged in the investigation activities," he said.
It became known in early May that the court would not initiate proceedings over Peshkov’s murder for lack of evidence. However, last week the Prosecutor’s Office allegedly received new information about the incident and in light of these new incriminating facts decided to resume the investigation.
In the context of the investigation into the incident with the Su-24 pilot, the Prosecutor’s Office intends to interrogate Celik once again. The investigators have reportedly received new information about the incident. In particular, Celik is expected to explain the situation with shooting on Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter that was on a mission to rescue the Su-24 pilots. As a result of the fire opened on the helicopter, Russian marine Alexander Pozynin was killed.