ASTANA, June 10. /TASS/. Terrorist attacks in Aktobe (formerly Aktyubinsk) in western Kazakhstan have "emphasized the importance of stepping up international efforts to eradicate terrorism and extremism" and "actively fighting attempts to distort religion and use it for criminal purposes," Kazakhstan’s Foreign Minister Erlan Idrissov said on Friday.
He noted that President Nursultan Nazarbayev "has been consistently calling for such actions putting forward specific initiatives, such as the creation of a global anti-terror coalition." "We, Kazakhstani diplomats, will do out utmost to make sure that these goals are achieved," the minister said.
Kazakhstan’s top diplomat expressed condolences to the families of those killed and wished a speedy recovery to the people wounded in the June 5 attacks in Aktobe. He also thanked all those who offered words of sympathy to the country’s residents. "We are determined to further boost our cooperation for the sake of peace and stable development of all peoples," he said.
On June 5, a group of criminals attacked gun shops and a National Guard unit in Aktobe, a city located 100 kilometers (60 miles) from Russia’s border. Six people were killed in the attack, including three troops.
According to Kazakhstan’s Healthcare and Social Development Ministry, 38 people sought medical assistance with injuries of varying severity. According to the Interior Ministry, 13 attackers were killed, six others were put on the wanted list. The country’s National Security said earlier on Friday that four more terrorists and their accomplice had been eliminated during a special operation.
Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev said at a meeting with head of the National Security Committee Vladimir Zhumakanov on June 8 it is necessary to detain all perpetrators of the Aktobe attacks and eliminate them in case of armed resistance.