Putin assesses Zapad-2017 military drillsMilitary & Defense September 22, 13:00
Press review: What Putin said behind closed doors and US changes tone on SyriaPress Review September 22, 13:00
Austria's top diplomat seeks to arrange Putin-Trump summit in ViennaWorld September 22, 12:53
Russian aircraft scrambled 14 times in a week to intercept foreign jets along bordersMilitary & Defense September 22, 12:26
Moscow expects up to one million football fans for 2018 FIFA World CupSport September 22, 12:09
Bolshoi Theater announces Nureyev ballet premiere in early DecemberSociety & Culture September 22, 12:00
Austrian opposition calls for accepting Crimea’s reunification with RussiaWorld September 22, 11:51
Italian bikers collect humanitarian aid for children of DonbassSociety & Culture September 22, 11:21
At least 1,000 buildings in Russia targeted by hoax bomb threats over weekSociety & Culture September 22, 10:38
GENEVA, April 18. /TASS/. The delegation of Syria’s opposition High Negotiations Committee (HNC) to the intra-Syria talks in Geneva has decided to take a pause until the Syrian government implements United Nations Security Council resolution 2254, HCN’s spokesman Riyad Naasan Agha wrote on his Facebook account on Monday.
According to Agha, after a many-hour coordinating session in Geneva earlier on Monday members of the Riyadh group of the Syrian opposition "took an important decision to postpone their participation in the talks."
This decision, in his words, is not a suspension of the talks, neither is it withdrawal from them. It is "a possibility for others [the government] to fulfil United Nations Security Council resolution 2254 and give an answer to the key question, i.e. the formation of a governing body without any participation of [Syrian President Bashar] Assad in it."
The formation of a governing transitional body without Assad’s participation is a key demand advanced by the High Negotiations Committee at the intra-Syrian peace talks. The second round of these talks is currently underway in Geneva. The government however categorically refuses to discuss this issue.
Earlier, a source in the HNC, which was formed in December 2015 in Riyadh, told TASS that the HNC delegation is looking at withdrawing the talks but the final decision has not yet been taken. According to the source, the key reason for that move is the Syrian army’s offensive, which it claims violates the truce that came into force seven weeks ago. The ceasefire regime that was brokered by Russia and the United States was envisaged by the United Nations Security Council resolution adopted unanimously last December. The resolution also provides for deliveries of humanitarian aid to Syrian population.